Student Paper Competition
Current graduate students or recent graduates (2017 or 2018 only) are encouraged to apply for the student paper award. The authors of the two winning papers receive an equivalent of Euro 150 award and a travel stipend of an equivalent of Euro 1,400 if traveling from outside of Europe and Euro 800 if traveling from within Europe. To apply please see the following information:
To be eligible, you must:
- Be registered as a graduate student at a higher education institution at any level, or
- Be a recent 2017 or 2018 graduate.
- Be explicitly listed as first author of a paper accepted for BigSurv18.
- Only one paper of your choice will be considered for the student paper competition.
See examples of topics here.
- Applicants will submit their abstracts (500 words or less) to the BigSurv18 conference by February 28, 2018 (see ‘Abstract submission’ above for details). Please clearly indicate in the submission process that you would like to be considered for the Student Paper Competition. References are not required at this point.
- Participants will be notified by March 30, 2018, whether their papers will be considered for the Student Paper Competition.
- Full papers and all accompanying materials must be sent to info@BigSurv18.org by Monday, April 30, 2018 by 5 pm EDT. More specifically, the email should include,
- A cover letter with the author’s name, current affiliation and status, and contact information (address, telephone, and e-mail) and names and e-mail addresses for all co-authors.
- A paper (in Word or pdf), fully blinded, not exceeding 7,000 words (including title page, abstract, tables/figures, references, and appendices).
- A letter from the adviser that certifies the applicant's status (e.g., current student or recent graduate), research plans, and contribution to the paper (esp. if co-authored).
- All submissions must be in English.
- Awardees will be notified by Saturday, June 30, 2018.
- Awardees must confirm their BigSurv18 attendance and register by Sunday, July 15, 2018.
- Awardees will be officially announced at the welcome reception.
- The award is conditional upon attendance. The actual award will be made within two weeks of the conference via electronic fund transfer to a designated, personal bank account.
- For travel to Spain, please see Travel, Visa and Other Considerations in Spain.