Student Paper Competition
BigSurv18 congratulates the winners of the Student Paper Competition:
- Mr. Jonas Klingwort, PhD candidate, University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany: “Capture-recapture Techniques for Transport Survey Estimate Adjustment Using Road Sensor Data,” together with Dr. Bart Buelens and Professor Rainer Schnell
- Mr. Maarten Vanhoof, PhD candidate, Newcastle University, United Kingdom: “Performance and sensitivities of home detection on mobile phone data,” together with Dr. Clement Lee and Dr. Zbigniew Smoreda
BigSurv18 wishes to thank Dr. Lilli Japec, Senior Scientific Advisor, Statistics Sweden, and Dr. Lars Lyberg, Inizio, Sweden, and the Board of Reviewers for their work in reviewing the abstracts and selecting the winners.
Student Paper Competition Background Information
Current graduate students or recent graduates (2017 or 2018 only) are encouraged to apply for the student paper award. The authors of the two winning papers receive an equivalent of Euro 150 award and a travel stipend of an equivalent of Euro 1,400 if traveling from outside of Europe and Euro 800 if traveling from within Europe. To apply please see the following information:
To be eligible, you must:
- Be registered as a graduate student at a higher education institution at any level. Or
- Be a recent 2017 or 2018 graduate. And
- Be explicitly listed as first author of a paper accepted for BigSurv18. And
- Only one paper of your choice will be considered for the student paper competition.
See examples of topics here.
- Applicants will submit their abstracts (500 words or less) to the BigSurv18 conference by February 28, 2018 (see ‘Abstract submission’ above for details). Please clearly indicate in the submission process that you would like to be considered for the Student Paper Competition. References are not required at this point.
- Participants will be notified by March 30, 2018, whether their papers will be considered for the Student Paper Competition.
- Full papers and all accompanying materials must be sent to info@BigSurv18.org by Monday, April 30, 2018 by 5 pm EDT. More specifically, the email should include,
- A cover letter with the author’s name, current affiliation and status, and contact information (address, telephone, and e-mail) and names and e-mail addresses for all co-authors.
- A paper (in Word or pdf), fully blinded, not exceeding 7,000 words (including title page, abstract, tables/figures, references, and appendices).
- A recommendation letter from the adviser that certifies the applicant's status (e.g., current student, recent graduate), describes research plans, and contribution to the paper (esp. if co-authored).
- All submissions must be in English.
- Awardees will be notified by Saturday, June 30, 2018.
- Awardees must confirm their BigSurv18 attendance for the entire conference and register by Sunday, July 15, 2018.
- Awardees will be officially announced after the keynotes prior to the welcome reception.
- The award is conditional upon attendance. The actual award will be made within two weeks of the conference via electronic fund transfer to a designated, personal bank account.
- For travel to Spain, please see Travel, Visa and Other Considerations in Spain.