BigSurv18 congratulates the following early career scholars who received travel awards to attend the conference:
- Dr. Ruben Bach, University of Mannheim, Germany
- Dr. Todd Bear, University of Pittsburgh, USA
- Dr. Amos Chinomona, Rhodes University, South Africa
- Miss Agnete Dissing, Copenhagen University, Denmark
- Dr. Henrik Dobewall, University of Tampere, Finland
- Miss Anne Elevelt, Utrecht University, Netherlands
- Mr. Ramón Ferri-García, Universidad de Granada, Spain
- Mr. Micha Fischer, Institute for Social Research, USA
- Dr Sakinat Folorunso, Olabisi Onabanjo University, Nigeria
- Mr. Jan Karem Höhne, University of Mannheim, Germany
- Mr. Charles Kalinzi, Makerere University, Uganda
- Mr. Piotr Kałużny, Poznań University of Economics and Business, Poland
- Mr. Jonas Klingwort, University of DuisburgEssen, Germany
- Mr. Niklas M. Loynes, New York University, USA
- Ms. Colleen McClain, University of Michigan, USA
- Mr. Ryan McShane, Southern Methodist University, USA
- Mr. Elvis Muchene, Kenya Markets Trust, Kenya
- Ms. Aubrey O'Neal, University of Austin at Texas, USA
- Ms. Paulina Pankowska, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Mr. Abdur Rahman, Shahjalal University of Science and Technology, Bangladesh
- Mr. Wasim Syed, National College of Business Administration and Economics, Pakistan
- Mr. Jerry Timbrook, University of NebraskaLincoln, USA
- Mr. Maarten Vanhoof, Newcastle University, United Kingdom
- Dr Alexander Wenz, University of Essex, United Kingdom
- Mr. Benjamin Williams, Southern Methodist University, USA
We would like to thank the National Science Foundation for their generous support of the travel awards (Award Number: 1758346).
Travel Awards Background Information
Announcement: Additional Funds Available
BigSurv18 is happy to announce additional travel awards to help more early career scholars attend the conference in Barcelona. Funding for these additional travel awards comes from the National Science Foundation (Award Number: 1758346). To be eligible to apply, individuals must be listed as an author of a presentation accepted to BigSurv18 and be either a current graduate student or have graduated since 2013. Please send us your application materials (for requirements see below) by Wednesday, May 23, 2018 by 5 pm EDT.
We also are interested in supporting early career scholars (graduate students or graduation date in 2017 or 2018) from all parts of the world and have established a travel award fund for this purpose. These travel awards include a travel stipend of an equivalent of Euro 1,400 if traveling from outside of Europe and Euro 800 if traveling from within Europe. Early career scholars from underrepresented regions are especially encouraged to apply.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be registered as a graduate student at a higher education institution at any level. Or
- Be a recent 2017 or 2018 graduate. And
- Be explicitly listed as an author of a presentation accepted for BigSurv18. And
- Express your ability/willingness/intention to attend the entire 2-3 days of the conference.
- Applicants will submit their abstracts (500 words or less) to the BigSurv18 conference by February 28, 2018 (see Abstract submission for details). Please clearly indicate in the submission process that you would like to be considered for the Travel Award. References or letters of motivation are not required at this point.
- Participants whose abstracts have been accepted for the conference will be notified by March 30, 2018, that they will be considered for the Travel Award.
- Full application materials must be sent to info@BigSurv18.org by Monday, April 30, 2018 by 5 pm EDT. These should include:
- A curriculum vitae.
- A letter of motivation describing how attending the conference would benefit the applicant (in Word or pdf, a maximum of 2 pages, standard formatting).
- A letter of recommendation from the adviser that certifies the applicant's status (e.g., current student, recent graduate), describes research plans and current achievements, and indicates that no alternative source of funding is available to attend BigSurv18.
- All submissions must be in English.
- Awardees will be notified by Saturday, June 30, 2018.
- Awardees must confirm their BigSurv18 attendance for the entire conference and register by Sunday, July 15, 2018.
- Awardees will be officially announced after the keynotes prior to the welcome reception.
- Please note that participation in the Travel Award program carries with it an obligation to attend one of the short courses and to support BigSurv18 in smaller activities (e.g., help coordinate shared housing among students).
- The award is conditional upon attendance. The actual award will be made within two weeks of the conference via electronic fund transfer to a designated, personal bank account.
- For travel to Spain, please see Travel, Visa and Other Considerations in Spain.
Good luck, and see you in Barcelona!